Monday, August 27, 2012

Finally...

 

Finally, this day has come to an end.  It was a slow day, but filled with fires to put out.

Do you remember, when you were young, or younger, thinking and dreaming about what you wanted to be when you grew up?  Restaurant Manager was never on my list.  This whole thing started as a part time job to make a little extra money and now….I’m running the place.  It takes up all of my time and my life.  Just ask Baz….LOL  He’s seen it firsthand.  So has Rita.

I had a lot of different dreams growing up.  I wanted to be a writer, a librarian, a teacher, and even a secretary.  And of course, a photographer.

All my life, I’ve surrounded myself with books.  One of my earliest memories is of me sitting behind my Daddy’s chair with a stack of Dr. Seuss books.  I think I was around five years old.  Going to the library was always exciting to me.  All those books, all those stories…all those places that I could visit inside those pages.  I would walk down the aisle, running my hand along the books, completely captivated and immensely happy.

I guess that’s why English and Literature were always my best subjects in school.  I used to love to diagram sentences.  I’m not sure I could do it now, but then I loved it and it was one of the few things I excelled at. 

I am still surrounded by books.  I have books everywhere.  Every so often, I give them away to others that love to read, and then find myself filling up every nook and cranny again.  I have books on photography, books from school, books of photographs, books of artworks by some of my favorite artist, and then there’s the escape books….LOL.  I have lots of Nora Roberts, Karen Hawkins and many others.

Maybe that’s why I love blogging so much.  I can find all of my favorite things in one place.  I’ve also made many wonderful friends along the way.

 

 

25 comments:

  1. started reading before I could even write...well maybe..but i do average at least a 60 TO 80 a year im guessing...love my kindle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books too. I remember getting my first book at the kindergarten Christmas exchange. It was the Bobbsey Twins at the Seashore. I read every single one by the time I was in first grade. I still read at least two books a week and sometimes 4 or 5. I'm surrounded by stacks of them too. I know what you mean about being in a job you never really started out to do....but thankfully our jobs really do not have to define who we are but are sometimes just a way to make a living....not a life unless we are among the lucky who find a way to have or make our job one that that does both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started out reading Marvel comic books. I still own 100s of books today, even after just sending a bunch to
    Goodwill last weekend. I love Nora Roberts too... Montana Sky is my fave of hers ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ya girl and I love Nora for "introducing" us lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered Nora when I started getting books for my mom to read from the library. I still love Nicholas Sparks best though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. books and magazines:)
    don't know if I will ever get a Kindle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morticia has an I pad and she loves to read with it. I just love books, the feel of the pages, the smell, and just plain holding them in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I get lost in my job sometimes Cherie. The phone is always ringing....someone always needs something....I just really don't have time for just me.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Montana Sky too, but she has so many great books that it's hard for me to pick a favorite...I have read several of them twice or more. LOL I also love the Death series...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, good ole Nora did just that. Love you too Chic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read many of hers.... Montana Sky and Finding the Dream
    I also have one or two of her as JD Robb (is that the right name?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Cherie....you gots do read her. The first books I read by Nora were here Irish Born series. I've been hooked since.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I want a kindle either....they may save space but they ain't a book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep KK JD Robb is Nora Roberts...Those are the Death series books. Love those too. Blue Smoke is another one that you would like. I got's lots....want I should send you some LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm thinking I must have been impressed with JD Robb stories if I can't remember the name for sure LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been reading a lot of John Grisham this year
    But I find I always go back to my old favorites before starting new books

    ReplyDelete
  17. right now I am reading Lonesome Dove for the 3000th time lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been reading Kathy Reichts. I think she's going to be one of my new favorites. One of the best books I've ever read was "The Summer House" by Jude Deveroux. It was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just read "The Reef" which is either Roberts or Robb, don't remember which.
    Not a bad read at all

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Reef was Nora Roberts. She also has a Key Series. Key of Valor is one of them. That was a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very cool where life takes us some days..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can read on the iPad, but it is not near as fulfilling for me as turning the paper page. I wish I had the time to read now.....work just takes it all out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh me, TOO!!!! I have ALWAYS loved books . . . libraries . . . bookstores, especially second hand bookstores . . . My husband loves his nook (and his ipad) and he had me read one book on one of them, just to see if I liked it, and it was okay, but I just LOVE the feel of a book in my hand, turning the pages, the look of a book on a shelf (or LOTS of books on LOTS of shelves) . . .

    I am not sure I have read any of Nora Roberts . . . I guess I will have to find some and give her a try . . .

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also have loads of books around the place. I'ce just spent a few weeks re-reading my Anne McCaffrey collection instead of my summer reading list but you have to admit that "All The Weyrs of Pern" sounds a lot more interesting than "Core Curriculum"!

    I hope you find some way to find balance in your life... and if you find out how - let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete