Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lost Loves

 

Not all loves are meant to be.  We have several classic love stories that prove this: Romeo and Juliet, Heathcliff and Catherine, and Rhett and Scarlett.  Okay, these are all fictional, but you catch my drift.  They all end.  There is always something that comes between the lovers; family, responsibilities, time, and distance.

What is this connection?  Romeo and Juliet loved, and died trying to be together.  A woman who chose to be with someone else haunted Heathcliff.  In addition, Scarlett, she pretty much did herself in.  She chased a dream and overlooked the love in front of her.

Why  question this?  Someone very close to me is about to have her own tragic love story.  There’s no doubt these two love each other.  They’ve known each other all their lives.  There’s always been closeness between them.  They went their separate ways, made lives of their own.  Both are single again, but there are many obstacles in their way.

I  think it’s sad that, once again, the odds are against them.  Will this love die?  I don’t think so, but I do believe it will be a shadow in their memories, always there to haunt them. 

16 comments:

  1. OH I do hope you are wrong it it will end happily, but if not at least she has you for a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Rachel...I so hope you're wrong. I hope they find each other and live happily ever after. I believe almost all obstacles can be overcome, maybe not all of them, but most. And, if the obstacles are too great, Rachel is right again....she's blessed to have you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and btw, I love the dragons up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right twice................*wanders of whistling a happy tune!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that love can over come the obstacles..............I have to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the physical obstacles are too great and the loves never unite as one ... but it never dies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto what Maggie said. Love lives on to live its own life in the shadows. Maybe next lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie and Mavis...very true...I have a shadow of my own. Different situation, but it's there and always will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd go with Rita here, when there is Love there is a way...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez you could be talkin' bout me and D.... finally after over 24 years, we were both free and able to show and share our love.. but after 2 1/2 years of being a "couple", the obstacles of distance and everything else we have been facing are still there with no end in sight. We see each other only twice a year for 2 to 3 weeks at a time... the rest of the year we speak on the phone and swap photos online. It doesn't make for the most satisfying relationship.
    However, it's all we can have right now. I can either accept it, or give him up, putting that love back on the shelf it languished on for 24 years and try to go on with my life.
    For me that isn't much of an option. That "Shadow" is over powering and won't let me go on to someone else. So, I live my life as it is... doing what I have to do.
    Some people are so ingrained in your heart and mind it's impossible to let them go. I hope for her sake, it's not a 'lost love' ... but just one that is delayed... like mine. As Danny keeps telling me... "If it's Forever..." it's up to God.. we just have to be ready and willing to do the foot work.
    I'm gonna stay ready. He is that important to me. It sounds like perhaps they are that important to each other, too. It'll all work out... (another thing D loves to say.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, food for thought there Linda. I do hope they can make it together. Where there's a will there's a way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It takes two. And if one or both of them are too prideful to see what's right in front of their nose then yes, this is a very tragic story. Maybe they are afraid of being hurt. What they may not see is there is hurt in every road. Happy is worth the hurt. I say to your friend to fight for those happy times with everything that is in them and stop worrying about what if........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah, and live today, cuz you might not get another tomorrow.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, some loves are not meant to be, and some obstacles are just insurmountable.

    ReplyDelete