Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Magic of the Bandaid

When my girls were young, the band-aid was a magical thing.  No matter the problem, a band-aid always seemed to be the fix.  That or a kiss to the offended area.  Still works with the grandmonsters.

It was a cure-all for everything it seemed.  Skint knees, scratches and sometimes even when there seemed to be no evidence of a boo boo, a band-aid placed on the arm, leg or whatever always seemed to make them feel better.

As they got older the magic of the band-aid receded.  Walking out of childhood into the teenage years and growing into a young adult, the power of the band-aid was lost.    Sad isn't it, the things we lose from childhood.

A kiss seemed to have the same affect.  I always tried to kiss the hurt away.  Once, when Brandy was young, she literally busted her arse.  Admist the tears, she began to laugh.  She looked at me and said kiss it Mama.  The little shite.  It's a moment I'll always remember.  Laughter through tears....

It seems the older they get, the harder it is to kiss the hurt away.  We watch as our children go through the pains of life and most times, there's not much we can do.  I  feel so helpless sometimes and long for the power of the band-aid.

When they suffer the trials of life, we can love them, be there for them, give advice but most times we just have to let time heal the wounds.

Being a Mother is the hardest job there is I think.  But, it's also one that's full of rewards.

Seems I'm just in a reflective mood this morning.  Looking back.  What I need to be doing, is packing and getting ready for work.  I'm going to Morticia's when I get off.  Gonna spend a little time with her tomorrow.  That's always a bandaid for me.

Y'all take care and have a wonderful day.

17 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful day too honey.
    I think the evening and tomorrow will be a bandaid for your soul.
    The sky is an amazing blue here today and we're off out for a while soon.
    Big hugs and a good day to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No bandaids in our house... if it was gushing, pressure and superglue was applied....

    Take care of yourself Lindyloo, and give my best to Morticia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the best type of Mum there can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bandaids worked here too. And kisses. I imagine they are pretty much universal medicine.
    You and Morticia have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely and insightful Blog Linda. I do agree with what you are saying and laughed at your girl wanting you to kiss her back side ha ha ha.
    Have a great time tomorrow.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh the magic of bandaids....it is too bad that they don't work when they get older and get heartbroken, istn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss those day when the band-aid worked too. You know I am feeling ya on this one =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Band aids are da bomb gal...literal and figuratively.

    Going to Morticia's on a Monday????
    Glad you are, but what's up??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red .. it's only Sunday.

    You, it was only a couple of weeks ago that I told Katie that when she was little a bandaid and a kiss were all I needed to make the hurt go away. Wounds to the heart though .. nothing but time can stop that hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She said she was going to Morticia's TONIGHT to spend time with her Tomrrow...which is Monday right???

    ReplyDelete
  11. "It seems the older they get, the harder it is to kiss the hurt away. We watch as our children go through the pains of life and most times, there's not much we can do. I feel so helpless sometimes and long for the power of the band-aid.

    When they suffer the trials of life, we can love them, be there for them, give advice but most times we just have to let time heal the wounds."

    Lindy-looh, truer words were never spoken. I love this blog.
    When my babies could be made all better by bandaids, I loved buying them the special ones! Camo for Sam, Princesses for Gillian. Sam used to get Pooh bandaids, but probably wouldn't ever admit to that now!!
    Have fun with Morticia dear.... xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was so funny.
    What a beautiful and insightful post Linda.
    Have a great time with Morticia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did go to Morticia's. I was off today instead of tomorrow. Month end. I still had to go in tonight for a while. We had a fund raiser.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's something I know my mother's had some trouble with, letting me go & letting me grow-up. The band-aid turned into the magic of salt & dettol, followed by crystals, herbs & essential oils. My father's a bit of a herbalist & mum's a reiki healer, so it's in my blood to turn my talent to others in pain. It now often gets me in trouble, because they're not my own little ones, they're really someone elses...

    ReplyDelete